Saturday 17 October 2009

Tick Tock


Time is ticking, if everything goes according to plan, an armada of movers will invade our apartment in Geneva on the 4th of November and pack up our stuff into a gazillion boxes, ship them to Amsterdam and hopefully will move everything into the house on the 9th of November.

I have been kicking Dutch butt a lot lately in order to get everything done in time. In comparison to this move, coming to Switzerland was a cakewalk. Since we are outside of the EU bringing our stuff back is a nightmare. We have filled out so many forms, ordered documents from Germany, which we had already but which were issued more than 6 months ago, a birth certificate is a birth certificate is a birth certificate, why do you need a "new" one, and I have spent a good amount of time on the phone with movers and relocation agencies.

One could get the feeling that Europe is not too keen on people from abroad coming over. Luckily we are Europeans so it´s a little less complicated. I can only imagine how hard it must be for let´s say Americans, to set up shop in Europe.

One thing I found particularly funny. If you are married or if you are in a civil union you have to provide proof in form of your marriage certificate. Makes sense, but the weird thing is that you need a certificate to prove that you are single, if you are single. How humiliating is that?
I can envision girls breaking down into tears in town halls, sobbing uncontrollably while asking for a "I am single and moving to a foreign country all on my own" certificate.

Anyway, I am still thrilled beyond believe about moving to Amsterdam. I am trying to ignore the little voice in my head telling me that I will not see some of my friends again.
We have a nice guestroom in Amsterdam and I think I have to open up a waiting list for it. So many people want to visit, and with Amsterdam being a popular weekend destination, I think a lot will actually show up on my doorstep. Not like Geneva, where everyone told me "Of course we are going to visit you" and never did, because flights to Geneva cost an arm and a leg.

18 days till the move!


You should follow me on twitter here.

2 comments:

Bossy Boots said...

Dibs on that guest bedroom next March!

PS "Breaking down in tears.."? Um...how about "Breaking into song and a tap dance..."? XD

laineyquenna said...

It is a beautiful watch that I'm still seen.I average, people who use science to look back in time, and move in that other time, so much so that they can get information about that term.
flights to geneva